Friday, May 26, 2006

Parental Involvement

I thought this was interesting just because of the number of times I've been asked, "Why don't you stay in the public school system and work for change from within?"

“There is no true consultation. It’s more, 'We will brief you,’” said Council Education Committee Chairman Robert Jackson.

And that, Klein might say, is just as it should be. Consulting with parents can create “gridlock,” the chancellor once said.

You bet. They really don't want to hear my opinions on what's fundamentally wrong with the standard curriculum and pedagogy. I don't want to waste time beating my head against the wall. Homeschooling is win-win for everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that in spite of the fact that I find your blog generally amusing (and usually an exercise in vocabulary enrichment), I do find one area in which it could be improved. I believe your blog would be much more effective if you adopted the practice of Miss Manners in rendering your thoughts/facts/diatribes in the third person. For instance, let's take a look at your post here utilizing the Miss Manners approach:

"They really don't want to hear The Opinionated Homeschooler's opinions on what's fundamentally wrong with the standard curriculum and pedagogy. The Opnionated Homeschooler doesn't want to waste time beating her head against the wall."

See how much more authoritative that sounds? It's as if you've been given an office out of which you operate - sometimes reluctantly, due to your own deep personal sense of humility - for the greater good of humanity. The Opinionated Homeschooler only renders her thoughts because her adoring public and the deplorable state of affairs in the world demand it.

10:37 AM  
Blogger The Opinionated Homeschooler said...

Hmmm. I'd have to whip up a macro, cause I'll be darned if I'll type all those vowels over and over again.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home