Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Carnival of Homeschooling

... is up at Patricia Ann's Pollywog Creek Porch. She's got an Everglades theme going. Link to a good post on Days To Come about how badly we homeschoolers often handle conversations with non-homeschoolers, ignoring the underlying conversation that's really going on. I've often been guilty of this: someone would say "Oh, I could never homeschool," and I'd immediately launch into the reasons they could, and how great it is, and basically responding to their slightly defensive answer with my terribly defensive reaction. Now I just say "Every family has to figure out what's best for them," and get rewarded by a grateful smile.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

Oh, that is so good just to leave it at that. I have been wondering what to say when very capabable people say this. I don't want them to feel like I am pressuring them, but I also want them to know that they really could do it. So, I usually say something like, "If I can do it, I know you can, but you've gotta do what works for your family." I feel so validated that you've come to the same conclusion.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home