Saturday, June 24, 2006

Le Progres Scientifique Fait "Boink"?

From the used book store, a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon collection en francais. (Sorry, I know there should be a cedilla in there, but I have no idea how to get French characters on this blog.) Let's see if this helps Offspring #1 focus on her liberal arts studies a bit. These are just great:

Calvin: Il vient juste de m'arriver un truc super-bizarre.

Maman: Ah? Quoi?

Calvin: Je m'occupais gentiment quand soudain j'ai ete happe dans une sorte de vortex du vide spatial! Impuissant, j'ai vu mon double malefique venu d'un autre univers prendre ma place sur terre. Et...

Maman: Qu'est-ce que tu as fait encore?

Calvin: Non, non, tu vois, c'etait pas moi...

So if this works out, she'll have the French for "outer-space vortex" and "evil twin." There's some vocabulary I bet they don't have in Rosetta Stone. I wonder how you say "transmogrifier"?

1 Comments:

Blogger mrsdarwin said...

And what's sad is that I was able to figure this out not primarily with the help of my rusty French (though that was useful) but because I remembered the strip that you were referring to. Isn't that the one where he breaks the lamp?

I got to find me a French Calvin and Hobbes. Reminds me of a friend who brushed up on her German for her Ph.D. studies by reading Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home