Sunday, July 24, 2005



In honor of the feast day of St. James, I'm making my first attempt at putting images on the blog. Someone tell me if it doesn't look right.

Here's the aforementioned saint appearing in a dream to Charlemagne, telling him to liberate Galicia from the Saracens. Hard to say that I find "St. James told me to" to be the most convincing reason for invading a country; but I've heard worse.

A little something from St. James himself, on the hazards of teaching--of interest to us homeschoolers. Something to keep in mind next time I'm fixing to yell at my kids:

Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that you will receive a greater judgment. For in many things we all offend. If anyone does not offend in word, he is a perfect man, able also to lead round by a bridle the whole body. For if we put bits into horses' mouths that they may obey us, we control their whole body also. Behold, even the ships, great as they are, and driven by boisterous winds, are steered by a small rudder wherever the touch of the steersman pleases. So the tongue also is a little member, but it boasts mightily. Behold, how small a fire--how great a forest it kindles! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity. The tongue is placed among our members, defiling the whole body, and setting on fire the course of our life, being itself set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, and of serpents and the rest, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind; but the tongue no man can tame--a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless God the Father; and with it we curse men, who have been made after the likeness of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home