Saturday, March 10, 2007

Book Lists!

Our homeschool group is working on a wiki-format chronology of history resources, which has given me reason to look around at what other homeschoolers have accomplished in the compiling of book lists. Lots more than I have, I can tell you. Check out these sites:

Valerie's Living Books: I don't know who Valerie is, but she is clearly the queen of homeschooling book collectors. I felt like weeping the first time I found her web-page and realized that the partial, painfully compiled lists of various book series that I'd been working on for years were already complete, organized, annotated, and reviewed on her encyclopedic website. In the meantime, she has apparently homeschooled ten children. I bet her kitchen is clean, too.

Paula's Archives: An incredibly thorough list of "Books to Supplement History" (and a movie list too!), organized by time period, with appropriate ages for each item. Lots of other resources for homeschoolers besides, including suggests for various kinds of timeline, plus a cool link to portraits of famous people for putting on your own timeline.

Love2learn.net: Resources for Catholic homeschoolers, with hordes of book reviews (a couple submitted by your Opinionated Hostess), a history resource timeline with a Catholic focus, and many other interesting pages and links.

Sonlight Books arranged by time period: A comprehensive listing of all the history resources used by Sonlight--both now and pre-2004--arranged into The Well-Trained Mind 4-year cycle. Given the number of TWTM fans who already use Sonlight and are trying to combine the two, this looks like a great resource.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darwin said...

I don't know who Valerie is, but she is clearly the queen of homeschooling book collectors.

I dunno... Her site keeps making me mad. I was reading about the Lord's Beacon Lights of History series that seem to be her summum bonum of history, and it sounds terrible.

Growl, growl, growl.

But she is certainly complete.

3:51 PM  
Blogger The Opinionated Homeschooler said...

It does look dire. I recently abandoned the Gold Book (British Literature) of the up-until-now very good series "Learning Language Arts Through Literature" for similar reasons. Besides its many other flaws, it features "study questions" such as determining if Wordsworth was a Real Christan (TM) based on one of his poems (answer: he probably thought he was, but was only a cultural Christian, not properly born again).

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home